Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I'm a college student on a Journey...


My journey of becoming a teacher is almost half way completed.  High emotions and stress were in the air as my classmates and I had finals week just last week.  Now that I am done with the semester I can enjoy the summer air and reflect on what I have learned and gathered from school. This year has been a journey of many lessons learned out of school and in school.  One lesson that I am consistently learning is the meaning of being a teacher and the affect teachers can have on their students.  

A couple of weeks ago, my developmental reading class watched a video. This video was incredible as it showed my classmates and I how just one teacher can have an impact on one student, many students, co-workers, and even the community. As you watch you will notice that Mrs. Arredondo is very young and has accomplished a lot in her young years.  She is an urban  school teacher who grew up in an unstable household. As a young girl, she became shaken because of the things she experienced but as she grew older, she battled through it and decided to become a role model to future kids that have gone through similar situations. One of her goals that I have gathered from this video is to build a better community within the Los Angeles area where kids will have the opportunity to receive a good and safe education with teachers that care! This goal was fulfilled when she opened San Fernando Institute for Applied Media, the first pilot school established in the Los Angeles Unified School District at the middle school level.  




This teacher is an excellent example for future and current teachers of how teachers can have a huge positive impact on their students. I may not be studying urban education but through elementary and special education I will develop the mission of providing my students with the proper education and the encouragement to keep learning through Christ. I have a passion to teach those with and without disabilities. I will not be shaken but to keep learning and gathering ideas through school and in the community with the strength of Christ he gives me! 


In this video, Mrs. Pierson shows that teachers are not perfect just like any other person.   Teachers do make mistakes. If you take the time to watch the whole video, you will hear Mrs. Pierson talk about how she taught a math lesson, went back to her desk after the lesson, and realized she taught the whole lesson wrong! The next day she apologized to her kids and re-taught the lesson! I am not promising that I will not make mistakes when teaching but will promise to try my best to prevent mistakes while teaching. 

Again, these two videos are incredible examples of great teachers! Let us build ourselves up as role models who have strong missions for our students and the community! Let us not be shaken. Let us have The Lord be the rock for our classrooms.

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold". (Psalm 18:2 NIV)

So, here I am a Junior now in college fulfilling the gifts God has given me to be a teacher.  The journey is still continuing... 


What does being a teacher mean to you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment